The Village of Antioch's roots date back to 1836, when Darius B. Gage, Thomas Q. Gage and Thomas Warner made the first claims of government and. The first house was constructed on the north side of Sequoit Creek, with homes following shortly after on Loon Lake. The year 1839 brought a sawmill built by Hiram Buttrick, with the intention of providing the area with lumber for steamboats, locomotive furnaces, log homes and split-rail fencing. Today, Antioch has grown to a population of over 13,000. It has many industries, retail and service businesses, churches, schools, organizations and neighborhoods.